Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Cheaters and taking the fun out of football

A pair of hot issues here in the area involving the new great american sport football.

First, Bill Belichick...what can i say? The Patriots are the model organization in all of sports. They do everything right on and off the field but maybe we know why now. It's funny to watch him squirm in front of the podium. It's like the kid who gets caught doing something bad by his parents and he tries to lie to get out of it. Belichick knows what he did and got caught. I think they should award the win to the Jets and give NYJ some of NE's picks. If your really so against it Roger Goodell, be swift, be firm and take care of business.

Now the hokie topic....Lemme just say i was one of the more rowdier Syracuse fans at school. We had a chant involving the Hey Song which was less then nice. The school told the band they couldn't play it anymore so what did we do? We sang the song without the band and kept the tradition going. Greg's right...football is a weekly release of all the frustrations and crap that we've taken during M-F. If they want it to be like church, that's what Sunday morning is for. A lot of us take pride in our teams and take pride in our chants and "Stick it in...Stick it in" is as much a part of Virginia Tech as anything else.

That's all.

3 comments:

Fannypack said...

Matt, I feel u and Greg are a little naive when it comes to the "stick it in" chant at Tech.

U say that "it is not church" so get over it, well, I remember that in the early 70's that it was common in my college environment to us the phrase "she is a good bitch". Guess what that phrase is not acceptable today except maybe in the "rap world". Also I would say in hindsight, that this phrase was only acceptable among my college peers.

Everyone knows what the phrase "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa . . . stick it in, stick it in, stick it in!" sound is referring to. The origin of this chant maybe explained here: Letters to VT Magazine . Do a find for Bill Burnet '98 . Not sure of the validity of this explanation. NOTE: Google search for 'stick it in' virginia tech

Normally I say that I would leave this type of environment if the chant bothered me but since I have paid to view the game I don't feel that the actions of a few students & the band should make me change my plans.

In closing, I leave u with this observation: Many times there are persons, sometimes college students, who push the envelope with their actions hoping that there is no negative reaction to their musings. They then believe that there actions are viewed as okay (aka normal) because no one reacted negatively.

I appreciate u sharing your views and look forward to commenting on your future "musings" .

Btw, congrats on starting this blog. I hope Greg will follow your lead.

Fannypack said...

Btw, what is Greg's beef with Jim Weaver? Does he not like his personality or what? On the radio, he seems to be anti Jim Weaver on every issue.

Fannypack said...

Washington Post article on
Sunday, September 16, 2007; Page C05 about VIRGINIA TECH FOOTBALL: In Defiance, Students Persist With Raunchy Cheer