Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Time for more Opinions

For those who listen to Hardly Workin, I'm a very opinionated person and I don't mind sticking my neck out if I firmly believe in something. For those who don't listen to the show, time for you to get educated on some of my current sports beliefs. While some think I do it to spur calls for Greg's show, I actually believe this stuff with a lot of my heart.

- The hall of fame put Andre Dawson in yesterday. A lot of the talk surrounds those who didnt vote and those who didnt get in. To me, you get three chances to get in...if you arent good enough for the voters to put you in during that timespan then you arent worth it. I mean, this is the hall of fame...the best players in the sport...the guys that you will tell your children about when they ask about the greats in baseball. I feel that Cooperstown is watered down as it is. Bert Blyleven has been on the ballot for 13 years...to me, that's it. He's had WAY too many chances to get in yet his vote total keeps increasing. If you like the guy now, why didnt you like him then? Also, please don't try and tell me that Blyleven is a hall of famer. If you told me to name top pitchers in his decade, he doesnt come along in the top 15 or 20 which should clue you in that he's not a hall of famer.
- The bowls need to stay. I'll begin this with the fact that I was all for the playoffs in college football but i'm slowly coming away from that. No matter how big or small you make a playoff, you'll leave someone out. College football's regular season might be the most important regular season in all of sports putting emphasis on every game and every play because one loss can kill your season and can end your chances for the title. Yes, it is unfair that Boise and TCU didnt get a chance to play in the title game and i'm as angry as anyone else about this but i'm just not as jazzed about a playoff. Next year will be the true test for Boise who should be top 5 and will have the schedule to move up into the title contendership. I think the first change college football needs to make is to scrap the preseason top 25 and make the first one appear week 3 or 4 of the season. That hurt Boise/TCU more then their results as they couldnt make up enough ground to get to the title game.
- I want to start the hype for Boise and VT next season. The winner of this game should be in the title game by virtue of their victory over the other. Boise will be returning a ton of starters to this game while the Hokies will bring back their potent offense looking for O-Line help. If I was to set an early line for this game, i'd install the Hokies a four point favorite. Neutral field helps keep this line down and Boise being the more experienced team. It'll be interesting to see if Beamerball can prevent the Broncos from beating them with trick special teams plays.
- College basketball season is upon us and if i'm doing a power ranking system of the state/area schools i'd give William and Mary the lead with Richmond, ODU, VT and VCU rounding out the top five. Having seen the Hokies a few times this season, I'm impressed with their roster. That win over Seton Hall told me a lot since they didnt have Delaney and depended on Dorenzo Hudson to get them the victory. If they had a balanced effort against Temple, they'd be undefeated and higher up on the power poll.
- The Redskins....I go back and forth on them. At one point this season, I said they had one of the most talented defenses in the league and they do but I can't help but think the roster as a whole needs work. Much props to Jason Campbell for setting Clinton Portis in his place. Campbell took a beating this season and deserves to dish it out. Portis sat on the sidelines after a concussion and was a cancer to the locker room according to Campbell. Clinton's not going to be back and I think it's for the best. Keep Betts, Rock and Ganther for the backfield or trade down in the 1st round and take CJ Spiller and fill another hole as well. Shanahan will be a good hire but he's going to have to have patience. The O-Line and skill positions need some tweaking before this team can compete in the NFC East.
- Pitchers and Catchers Report in February....Is there a better phrase in sports? There's something about baseball that just warms the soul of many Americans across the country. I'm excited for baseball already even though we are in the heat of College basketball season.
- Winter Olympics are coming soon as well...Defintely stoked for this as well. Oddly I find myself becoming more patriotic during this time period. Looking forward to the curling and hockey among other events.
- NFL playoffs time...I've pretty much laid out my rooting interests. In the NFC ultimately it's about my Eagles. When/If they get eliminated, it's about exposing the Saints and the frauds that they are. Ideally i'd like it to be Philly who does it but Green Bay or Arizona would be suffice. I hope Favre and Dallas lose early as well. In the AFC, I've been partial to the Jets who are the cousins of the Eagles. Lewd fanbase/great fans, name spelling and same colors make them a fanbase that I can identify with. The Ravens entice me as well. Love watching the Rays (Lewis and Rice). Ultimately I'm predicting a Packers/Cardinals vs. Chargers superbowl. Green Bay has the defense to slow down the Vikings and Saints.
- Finally, being that March is a mere two months away, it's time for sports fans to plan the ultimate trip. Vegas for the first two rounds of March Madness is the place to be. Your living room is nice and all but try watching a game with a little cash on the line with a couple hundred of your closest friends in their college gear and screaming any basket in every game. It's something you have to experience and I think once you do, you'll make it an every year thing. Not to mention, there are plenty of pretty girls who go out there at this time as well.

For more of my opinions that I like to say on a day to day basis, tune in to Hardly Workin with Greg Burton, 4-7pm on ESPN 950 and ESPN950am.com

No comments: